According to the latest news published through the CREAF and Forest Technology Center of Catalonia (CTFC), indicate that the area affected by the processionary this year will be greater than that of recent years. They also comment that areas that had already been affected the previous year are currently suffering this intense defoliation again, something unusual since the processionary usually does not invade the same area two consecutive years. Along the same lines, the Catalan Meteorological Service (SMC) It has been warning of the deep drought that affects the country, and therefore the weakness of its forest areas.
The Pau Costa Foundation organizes a conference with experts, territory managers and researchers, with the aim of dealing with the following topics:
- Assessment of the state of drought and its effects on the forests of Catalonia.
- Assessment of the affectation of the pine processionary. Understand the cause of the intense defoliation suffered by pine trees.
- Future vision: how can climate change affect this and other pests?
- Viability of possible palliative measures. Have affected changes been observed in different types of forest structures?
- Differences have been observed in structures managed with technical fire
- What effects can it have on increasing fire risk?
The approach will be informative in order to be able to engage in precise discussions on specific issues while maintaining an overview. We invite you to register to participate in this conference, debate in the field, or simply, to join us and learn from the professionals who research and work day by day on these issues.
MEETING POINT: L'Espunyola
CONFERENCE SCHEDULE: 9: 30h - 14h
CONDUCTOR OF THE DAY: Pau Costa Foundation, together with the experts of each subject.
Journal Club: A Journal Club is a periodic meeting of a group of people interested in discussing a certain topic. The approach made by the Pau Costa Foundation is that of an open, serene and frank debate in the field on current issues around forest fires.